Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sierra Club Wilderness Travel Course

Ever wondered where an LA outdoor newb could learn all those outdoor skills related to hiking and backpacking in a classroom and hands on setting?

Well one place is the annual tradition of the Angeles Chapter's Wilderness Travel Course ( called the WTC course for short). The Los Angeles chapter has been teaching this class for over 40 years.

Its being offered again in 2011. Classes will be held in 4 locations: the San Gabriel Valley, West Los Angeles, Orange County, and Long Beach.

I have many acquaintances who have taken this course. They basically stated that although a lot of the material is not new to anyone with any backpacking experience that a few things were extremely useful. They recommended taking the class despite this.

I am currently considering taking the West LA class. But I am trying to decide if its really worth the money. It appears to be $320 early registration for Sierra Club Members.
However, I was a Boy Scout who already took classes in using a compass and navigating in the wilderness, and wilderness survival etc. I also used to have an EMT license so I am kind of doubtful that I will acquire too many new first aid skills. Additionally, I have felt comfortable enough to organize and host several backpacking trips over the summer and this fall with the Los Angeles Backpacker's Club.

The one part of the class that would be new to me would be the snow camping section. I have never actually snowshoed (to be remedied this year with LABC) or camped in the snow. Unfortunately, I was recently disaapointed to read on the WTC website that
This course does not include instruction in the use of ropes, ice axes, crampons or other climbing aids for rock climbing and snow travel, nor is the use of such aids by students permitted during the course.

I was hoping to learn how to use an ice axe and crampons as I thought this was essential in most snow camping experiences. I mean my only real desire to camp in the snow would be to be able to summit various snowy peaks such as Mt. Whitney in the Winter, or Mt. McKinley, Mt. Shasta, Mt. Rainer etc. I am not that enticed by the idea of camping in the snow just for the hech of it.
And I can certainly learn to snowshoe with my backpacking meetup group as they will have several snowshoe trips throughout the winter.

If I were more of a newbie it would be a no-brainer and I would take the class. As a pretty experienced backpacker and hiker I am still on the fence. If I do take the class I will try and document it here on the Outdoor Los Angeles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment